Services FAQs

Little Lukes provides high quality childcare and recognizes the need to provide families with additional, educational information. Please take a moment to review our Frequently Asked Questions, or choose from a selection below.

If you have additional questions about Little Lukes programs or would like to request more information, please click here.

What age child can qualify for Preschool Related Services?

Children ages 3 to 5 years.

How do I get my child into Preschool Related Services?

If you have concerns about your child's development, start by calling your local school district to refer your child for an evaluation. An evaluation is required to determine eligibility and which services are needed.

Who will conduct the evaluation?

Professionals at the evaluation include a school psychologist and either a special education teacher, or a physical, occupational or speech therapist based on your area of concern.

What is the CPSE?

The Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE) includes educators and administrators from your local school district, a county representative and a parent representative. The committee creates education plans for children with special needs and the child's parents are included as a member of the committee.

How soon will I know if my child is eligible for services?

After the evaluation, the team sends a summary to the child's parents, the CPSE administrators and the county representative. The CPSE will schedule a meeting with the child's parents to discuss the type and intensity of services that are needed. Next, they create an IEP to outline the services that will be provided.

What is an IEP?

The IEP is an Individualized Education Program, a detailed plan of you child's goals and objectives and the necessary programs and services to meet those goals. It is reviewed at least once each year and you may request this document at any time.

What types of services might the CPSE recommend?

The CPSE may recommend related services, which may include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy or special education itinerant teacher (SEIT) services. These services are provided in the home or at a location convenient for the child. The CPSE may also recommend a special education preschool classroom, half day or full day. Some programs are integrated with typically developing children, others are segregated for only children with special needs.

Can Little Lukes provide the services?

You may choose Little Lukes from the list of approved service providers. We offer Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Special Education Itinerant Teacher (SEIT) services in several counties in Central New York. Little Lukes also has an approved integrated preschool program.

Are the professionals working with my child licensed or certified?

Our licensed therapists provide physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy services as outlined in the child's IEP. Our certified special education teachers provide individual or group instruction for preschool children.

When and where will sessions be scheduled?

We will try to schedule appointments at times that work for you and your family. Keep us updated on what is convenient for you. Services can be provided at a preschool or Head Start program, child care center, our locations or your home.

Next Step: Links