English Language Art
Little Lukes Preschool & Childcare Center incorporates a variety of award winning sources in curriculum, and regularly reviews the goals and outcomes for our preschoolers. The preschool content is organized in the following five domains of knowledge to build a strong foundation for the literary, scientific, and historical domains covered in K-5. Each domain-based unit focuses on an area of content knowledge that lays the groundwork to later learning.
- All About Me
- Families and Communities
Each day, our certified teachers present engaging, developmentally appropriate activities in Little Lukes preschool classrooms. In addition to explicit instruction in early language and literacy skills, Little Lukes Preschool develops student knowledge of content areas - including social studies and science - by consistently exposing students to rich, developmentally appropriate activities over the course of a school year.
Little Lukes has incorporated Core Knowledge Language Arts (CKLA) Preschool, a comprehensive English Language Arts curriculum designed to prepare young children for later reading success by building foundational language and literacy skills. Little Lukes Preschool materials and instruction provide explicit, systematic support for developing young children's language, literacy, and content knowledge within the context of developmentally appropriate early childhood settings. Little Lukes Preschool is fully aligned with the New York State Prekindergarten Foundation for the Common Core Standards.
Little Lukes Preschool supports learning across all five domains of development:
- Approaches To Learning - how children become involved in learning and acquiring knowledge.
- Physical Development and Health - children's physical health and ability to engage in daily activities.
- Social and Emotional Development - the emotional competence and ability to form positive relationships that give meaning to children's experiences in the home, school, and larger community.
- Communication, Language, and Literacy - how children understand, create, and communicate meaning.
- Cognition and Knowledge of the World (math, science, social studies, the arts, technology) - what children need to know and understand about their world and how they apply what they know.
Each week, Little Lukes has a specific theme that spans all learning areas. Each day, classrooms complete content area lessons to reinforce the weekly theme---purposeful fun in a structured learning environment. Lessons are differentiated to help meet the needs of all the children.