Is your child starting kindergarten
next year? Are you looking for tips to prepare your child for school? Below are some tips that
can help ease your child into kindergarten.
1. Develop routines. School runs on a schedule, so it’s better that your child can adapt. Choose regular times for your child to eat, play and sleep each day. This will help them adjust to a scheduled routine in kindergarten. Center-based preschools offer a structured environment with routines and schedules.
2. Learn basic skills. Review with your child so they can recognize letters, numbers, colors and shapes. Make it fun! Find letters and shapes throughout your day, draw them in the sand or snow or in your food. Playing with small items and creating shapes or letters is a great way our Little Lukes Occupational Therapists work on fine motor skills and early reading.
3. Read and play games. Make reading a daily family activity. Keep a bin of books near the couch and bed so they are visible and ready. Reading benefits your child most when it's a shared and interactive experience, so do it together.
4. Start socialization. Promote your child's social development by signing them up for local group activities, sports or preschool programs. This could be swim lessons, playgroup, a preschool class, or art program. This will allow them to make friends they may see in school. It’ll also teach good behavior, like how to share, how to express their feelings and practice taking turns.
5. Talk about kindergarten. Be excited about kindergarten, read books and visit the school before school begins. Attend open house before the school year starts. At the event, show your excitement for the new beginning.